This recent post compared corporate FCPA enforcement actions in 2020 to prior years. However, before a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act enforcement action is announced, scrutiny must first arise.
This post highlights the origins of the 12 core corporate enforcement actions in 2020. (See here for a similar post highlighting the origins of 2019 corporate enforcement actions; here for 2018 corporate enforcement actions; here for 2017 corporate enforcement actions and here for 2016 corporate enforcement actions).
As highlighted in the post, like prior years, 2020 corporate enforcement actions originated in a variety of ways from voluntary disclosures, to pro-active government investigations, to foreign law enforcement investigations.
Voluntary Disclosures (4)
- Cardinal Health
- World Acceptance Corp.
- Beam (The 2020 DOJ enforcement action concerned the same core conduct as the SEC’s 2018 enforcement action. In the 2018 enforcement action, the SEC stated: “Beam voluntarily disclosed this misconduct to the Commission staff and timely shared the facts developed during the course of an internal investigation by a special committee of its board.” In the 2020 DOJ enforcement action, the DOJ stated: “the Company did not receive voluntary disclosure credit … because it did not timely disclose to the DOJ.” In resolving the 2020 DOJ enforcement action, the company stated: “Our company in 2012 initiated and publicly disclosed a thorough and independent investigation in cooperation with the U.S. government and took decisive corrective action.”
Pro-Active Government Investigation / Subpoena (3)
- Goldman Sachs
Foreign Law Enforcement Investigation (4)
- Airbus (U.K. Serious Fraud Office investigation which resulted from an investigation by UK Export Finance)
- Novartis (South Korea law enforcement investigation)
- J&F Investimentos (Brazil law enforcement investigation)
- Vitol (Brazil law enforcement investigation)
- Sargeant Marine
FCPA Institute Online
The most comprehensive online FCPA training course available. Over 12 hours of narrated instruction from Professor Koehler allowing professionals to elevate their FCPA knowledge and practical skills at their own pace.Purchase